RECOGNIZING DISTRESS – A SELF-CHECKLIST
- Increased anxiety, worry, fear, and feelings of being overwhelmed
- Depressive symptoms that persist and/or intensify
- Inability to focus or concentrate accompanied by decreased academic performance
- A feeling of hopelessness and/or paralyzing fear about the future
- Sudden anger and disruptive behaviors or noticeable changes in personality
- Sleep difficulties
- Excessive crying
- Isolating or withdrawing from others, fear of going into public situations
- Unhealthy coping (e.g., increased alcohol or drug use, engaging in risky/impulsive behaviors)
PSYCHOLOGICAL HEALTH TIPS
- Acknowledge reactions. Allow yourself time to reflect on what you are feeling and how you may be reacting to any fears and uncertainties of the future.
- Maintain your day-to-day normal activities and social outlets. Resist withdrawing and isolating yourself from the support and caring that others can provide.
- Seek accurate information from “The Center for Disease Control & Prevention” and limits exposure to social media and news reports that provide no new information.
- Pay attention to positive news instead of only focusing on negative and fear-producing reports.
- Follow the protection and prevention tips found on the COVID-19 web page on the Alabama Department of Health , CDC and your own medical doctor.
- Practice calming rituals. Stay grounded in the present moment, which can help you maintain an internal sense of stability and balance when outside events feel threatening.
AVOID STIGMATIZING OR GENERALIZING
- Be aware of your behavior or attitude change towards other from another country
- Avoid generalizing anyone who is sick as potentially having the Coronavirus
- Examine any irrational or rigid thoughts that can exist when there is uncertainty
You can also visit:
TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
If you have any questions or would like to contact us by email, you can complete a brief confidential contact form here. Once you submit the contact form, a Bevill and Associates intake staff member will respond as soon as possible.
Bevill and Associates LLC is located in Birmingham, AL (on Valleydale Rd between I65 and Hwy. 280). Please click here for our full address and a map to our location.