Life can be challenging and is often stressful. We feel anxious, depressed, confused, or overwhelmed at some point during our life experience and need help dealing with feelings and problems that seem beyond our control.
For many of us, help may come from friends, family members, significant others, etc., but in some cases, help is needed from a trained professional. Counseling is a process that can help people identify more effective strategies both to cope with difficult situations and to achieve their goals. While some people who seek counseling have chronic emotional difficulties, most are dealing with normal life events and are simply in need of an objective listener – someone who doesn’t judge and who can help them see new alternatives.
Individual counseling is basically a collaborative effort between you and your counselor. Our goal is to provide an open, supportive, and confidential environment for you to address the issues that are concerning you. To schedule a free email consultation, simply contact us.
Who can benefit from Individual Counseling? Just about anyone can benefit. No problem is too big or small. Listed below are just a few examples of some common concerns:
- Symptoms of stress, anxiety, and depression
- Adjustment issues such as homesickness, academic problems, and long-distance relationships
- Interpersonal difficulties, including family problems, relationship, assertiveness, and other issues
- Bereavement and grief related to the loss of a loved one
- Questions/confusion about identity, self-image, sexuality, gender, or religious concerns
- Concerns about body image, food, eating, or weight, as well as treatment for eating disorders
- Experience with sexual assault, relationship violence, stalking, abuse, or other trauma
- Thoughts of suicide, death, or hurting others
- Behaviors that can be harmful to you, like drug or alcohol abuse or cutting
When to seek Individual Counseling:Our counselors are trained to intervene or provide support for a countless number of issues, far too many to list in any comprehensive way. While counseling might be helpful in numerous situations, there are some conditions in which we would strongly encourage you to seek counseling services:
- You are unhappy on most days or feel a sense of hopelessness
- You worry excessively or are constantly on edge
- You are unable to concentrate on your activities
- You are unable to sleep at night or constantly feel tired
- You have experienced a change in your appetite or your weight
- You have experienced a loss (e.g., a relationship breakup, a parent’s death)
- You have increased your use of alcohol or other drugs (including cigarettes)
- You feel overwhelmed by what is going on in your life
- You are having thoughts about hurting yourself or someone else
TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
If you have any questions or would like to contact us by email, you can complete a brief confidential contact form. Once you submit the contact form, a Bevill and Associates intake staff member will respond as soon as possible.
Bevill and Associates LLC is located in Birmingham, AL (on Valleydale Rd between I65 and Hwy. 280). Please click here for our full address and a map to our location. We are currently accepting new clients and warmly welcome self-referrals and referrals from physicians and other professionals.