We believe that most compulsive and problematic sexual behavior is properly classified as an addiction. Bevill and Associates follow the addiction treatment model, which has been used since the late 1940s to successfully treat many types of addictions.
The addiction treatment model used at Bevill and Associates consists of five basic components:
1. Sex addiction is the primary disorder rather than a symptom of another disorder. It is easy to focus on the symptoms of sex addiction, such as trauma history, depression, anxiety, failed relationships, intense loneliness, lack of self-worth, etc., instead of the addiction itself. However, we find that when we treat sex addiction as the primary issue, it allows us to effectively treat these secondary symptoms.
2. Sex addiction, like other addictions, is progressive. It is an involuntary condition that will get worse over time if left untreated.
3. Sex addiction is a multiphasic disorder that affects all areas of the addict’s life. Therefore, we use a broad-based treatment approach to deal with physical, mental, spiritual, family, work, and other issues the addict is facing.
4. The cornerstones of treatment for sex addiction are education, therapy, support groups, and other modalities that support free from destructive sexual behaviors.
5. Sex addiction, like all other addictions, affects the entire family system. We therefore strongly encourage individual treatment for partners and family members of the addict. In our experience, the involvement of an addict’s partner is essential to solid recovery and a rebuilding of the relationship that has been devastated by the addiction.
The treatment model of Bevill and Associates is a holistic, three-fold approach with education, individual therapy, and group therapy intertwined throughout treatment. Because addiction affects the entire family system, we also encourage individual treatment for partners and family members of the addict as well as couples therapy. Therapeutic models vary, depending on each individual’s unique needs and goals.
We rely in part on the work of Patrick Carnes and his task-centered methods to form the basis of our treatment of sex addiction. We also encourage attending self-help groups for sex addiction that are modeled on Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) support groups, which help members maintain sobriety on addictive and compulsive behaviors through sharing of experiences; emphasize the spiritual awakening, and honor the tradition of anonymity.
Treatment begins with a confidential assessment session of approximately 1-1½ hours. During this time, we discuss the addictive and compulsive behaviors that are causing pain for you and your loved ones.
Our assessment involves evaluating the consequences of sex addiction on marriage, family, and other meaningful relationships; and ramifications in the work, social, spiritual, and financial realms. There are often significant and catastrophic repercussions of sex addiction such as divorce, job loss, physical injury or even criminal arrest.
The holistic, three-fold treatment philosophy of Bevill and Associates encompasses education, individual therapy, and group therapy.
In our education groups, we begin with creating an awareness of the addiction and continue with personalized education throughout the recovery process. The more you understand your addiction, the more you will learn to recognize triggers and avoid treacherous situations. We will provide you with recommended reading lists to further your understanding of sex addiction, and we will offer you tools that you will be able to use to support you in your recovery process.
Individual therapy is a continuous, one-on-one process. In the early stages of individual therapy, we focus on addressing your specific acting out behavior and offer you direction in slowing and stopping such behavior. As we continue our work, we will explore your own unique deeper issues, with the goal of developing a balanced life.
Group therapy provides both support and accountability among those with sex addiction and those who engage in compulsive behaviors. Sessions involve education and discussions of traumatic events as well as confrontations regarding denial, delusions, and inappropriate behaviors. It has been our experience that most clients find group therapy to greatly assist in freeing them from secrecy and shame.
We also offer individual and group therapy for partners and family members of those who suffer from sex addiction, as we have found that partners and family members can benefit tremendously from such treatment themselves. Often partners are deeply affected by the addiction and develop a strong desire to control their loved one in the hope of stopping the behavior or “curing” the addict. They may become obsessive about uncovering evidence of the addiction or preventing
TO BOOK AN APPOINTMENT
Call us 205-610-9319 or use our easy online scheduler here.
If you have any questions or would like to contact us by email, you can complete a brief confidential contact form here. Once you submit the contact form, a Bevill and Associates intake staff member will respond as soon as possible.
Bevill and Associates LLC is located in Birmingham, AL (on Valleydale Rd between I65 and Hwy. 280). Please click here for our full address and a map to our location.